For Azure, our environments are currently setup within a single region/subnet which azure can automatically distribute between all the region’s availability zones. The subnet is a private one and only the load balancer and Azure storage are allowed to be reachable from the public internet (although the Azure storage would typically require credentials). In order to keep networking as private as possible, we setup a private endpoint so that the databases and caches can be accessed via private connection and so have no public endpoints.
We deploy the AKS cluster with one node pool spanning all the azs in the region/subnet. By default, it is set to version 1.19.11 but that can be manually overridden if needed. Currently, there is a public cluster endpoint, but this may be revisited once a story for VPN support is planned out.
For databases, we currently have modules for postgres, and redis. We only offer 1 instance per db (azure handles geo-redundant backups), but we hope to add this feature as customers demand. The postgres databases are built with 7 day retention of backups in case of emergency. The username and passwords are created with the database and are passed securely to the K8s services as secrets (pls see K8s section for security around secrets).
There currently is no module for for a user to provision their own storage account/container, but that will come in due time.
Lastly, Opta does not handle DNS or SSL in Azure due to complexities of Azure. Opta does provide ways of adding your own ssl certificate into our system to get SSL. Once your DNS zone points to the IP address of the load balancer provisioned by Opta your application will be live and protected by SSL.
- With linkerd and domain delegation complete, Opta environments will have end-to-end encryption on all Opta services.
- All vms are run within the private subnet (i.e. can access the internet via a nat gateway, but nothing external can reach them).
- All databases/caches are run with the private endpoint option and are not publicly exposed.
- All database/redis connections use SSL encryption.
- No long-lived IAM credentials are ever created.
- All ACR images/repos are private to the account.
- Azure storage accounts/containers will be created privately by default.
- 7 day backup retentions for the postgres/mysql databases.
- Currently, the AKS cluster is built with a public endpoint for the simple usage (can add private option later on once VPN feature is added).
Was this page helpful?
Glad to hear it! Please tell us how we can improve.
Sorry to hear that. Please tell us how we can improve.